Maple Syrup Delicious, Also Good for You
- Maple Syrup (via D43n)
You know how high-fructose corn syrup basically embodies all evil, or at least makes you extra fat and scars your liver? Maple syrup is the angelic sweetener on the other shoulder. It's got calories, sure, but empty calories they're not. Long known to be packed with packed with antioxidants, zinc, thiamine and calcium, there's research out this week announcing 13 new health-beneficial compounds previously undiscovered in maple syrup. Wild eaters, this stuff is from trees! You could dump it on pancakes or use it to whip up Master Cleanse juice, but there are much better uses. Five fab maple syrup recipes after the jump.
Five Good-For-You Recipes Using Maple Syrup:
- Tangy Maple Marinated Salmon
- Maple Syrup Salad Dressing. 1/3 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, 2/3 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp dijon mustard.
- Roasted Maple Glazed Root Vegetables
- Sesame Maple Roasted Tofu
- Grilled fruit with apple-maple syrup. Mix 1/3 cup apple juice and 2 TBSP maple syrup, bring to boil. Then brush onto sliced fruit of choice (apples, peaches, pineapple all delicious). Grill. Devour.